Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, September 10, 2012

It's Monday, What are you Reading?


It is Monday and again I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in over at the Mentor Text Blog. Just click on the picture 
                                                 
This past couple of weeks I didn't get a lot of reading done for children's literature, slowed down as term has gone into busy mode.
I read Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder and then I moved on to .....









Farmer Boy by the same author.  I know most people read these books when they were children, however they weren't in any libraries near me, so I didn't get to read them.  What hard working people these pioneers were and what an insight into life in those times.  It didn't seem to do them any harm because I notice that both Laura and Almanzo lived to a very old age.






Next up for reading is Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell as part of the Newbery challenge, perhaps Julie of the Wolves as well, will have to see how I go!

For professional reading I am reading 10 Things Every Writing Needs to Know by Jeff Anderson. Only read Chapter 1 so far and that was very good.

Happy reading everyone.

8 comments:

  1. I remember distinctly a time when I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to my then-four or five year old daughter. Now she's ten, and I ask her whether she still remembers some of the stories I read, and she claims that she has virtually no recollection of it. I agree though with what you say about their formidable spirit and their penchant for hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Island of Blue Dolphins. I reread that book every couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have such fond memories of reading the Little House Books as a child and then again with my oldest. My youngest daughter isn't as fond of them. I was reminded of the LH books this last week as I finished Caddie Woodlawn, which has that emphasis on pioneer work ethic. Enjoy your upcoming reads. I liked Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was teaching 4th grade in California.

    Lorna
    Not For Lunch: http://notforlunch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Wilder books & read them to my kids-they did work so hard. The others are terrific too. Hope your year is starting well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such a soft spot for the Wilder books....and Island of the Blue is another treasure. So nice to be immersed in great books, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling a little less smart. I have never read the Wilder books. My daughters skipped them and went with HP. I need to fill this hole in my literary life. You can't go wrong with Jeff Anderson for professional development.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been sooo long since I read any Little House books! I'll hit Blue Dolphin relatively soon in my Newbery Challenge too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember a summer where I read every single one of those books in that series. She had such a way with words, the books felt so personal! Hooray for rediscovering the "classics"!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...