Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, May 28, 2012

It's Monday What are You Reading?



It's Monday and again I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in over at the Mentor Text Blog. Just click on the picture below.




I read Guts by Gary Paulsen.  This is the actual life experiences of Gary Paulsen that provided him with the material that made Hatchet and the Brian books so real and accurate.  

I am not an outdoor person in the sense of going into the wild but I respect people who have ventured in.  I know that I certainly have not in any way changed my mind about venturing in after reading the book.  And I certainly never want to meet a moose! 

Students who have read Hatchet and any of the other Brian books will like this book.

I also read this graphic novel,  an accident buy. Got it mixed up with the real Lunch Lady so still have to seek her out!

I think younger students would enjoy it, says on the back Guided Level: K.

Illustrations are well done, and while it is for younger students I think there will be a few in my class who will buy into this.  Don't read just before a meal, could put you off eating!



This coming week I plan to read The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. Perhaps a few more as well, will have to see how the week goes.

Happy reading everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading Guts a while ago, plus My Life in Dog Years. Have some students who discover it each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attack of the Mutant Lunchlady looks like something I need to pick up!

    Ivan was so good. Seeing it on people's lists makes me want to read it again!

    Have a great reading week!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Gary Paulsen, & find that most think they are for younger students because they're so slim, but they tackle important issues. Thanks for telling about this one. Me too this week for Ivan. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get the Gary Paulsen biography- I need more NF in my classroom. I think that is going to be my resolution next school year.

    Attack of the Mutant Lunchlady looks funny, and a funny story how you picked it up :)

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...