Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Its Monday, What are you Reading?


 We have returned to a new school year here in New Zealand and while the time allotted to reading has dwindled I still managed to read two books and finish an audio.  Every little counts and as my goal is generally one children's book a week I am very pleased.
Hop on over and join in at the Mentor Text Blog.

I am continuing to read the Newbery books that I can lay my hands on.  This is the 2007 award winner.  I enjoyed it, although I wouldn't personally buy it for the class library.  If a student wanted to read it they can access it from the local library as I did using my smart card. 








This was my second book of the week, the 2000 Newbery award winner.  This was the first Newbery book so far that I really liked.  Bud was an endearing character and I wanted to pick up the book any spare moment I had so I read it very quickly.  I chose it because I have The Mighty Miss Malone lined up ready to read in the near future.






This one is a young adult book and the first one in a trilogy.  I listened on audio and well.... I actually loved it.  It was a big stretch for me as a reader as I hadn't ventured into anything dystopian. I will be eagerly anticipating the second in the trilogy which I think comes out in May.








This coming week I hope to read Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer Holm and possibly Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu.






12 comments:

  1. Divergent just came up on my library holds and is now on my ereader, so perhaps I will get through it this week as well. Always excited to find a series I like. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy Divergent, it was one I didn't really expect I would like!
      Kathryn

      Delete
  2. Katherine,
    I can't believe it took you so long to get around to Divergent, but I am glad you did. Still can't understand why you are trying to read all the Newbery books, but good luck!
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony
      All in the spirit of meeting a challenge! Indeed sometimes I ask myself why, however I also find stretching myself as a reader is good.
      Kathryn

      Delete
  3. "Bud Not Buddy" follows in Curtis' tradition of a wonderful story well told, and I'm waiting (any day now) for "Miss. Malone". "Divergent sounds cool - I'll ahve to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have The Mighty Miss Malone in my TBR pile, but school life is pressurizing me a bit and might be a little while before I get to it.
      Kathryn

      Delete
  4. Divergent is fantastic! I would also recommend Blood Red Road by Moira Young. Here is my list for the week http://wp.me/pzUn5-Pl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divergent was one of my favorite books of last year- I am glad you enjoyed it. Dystopian has quickly become one of my favorite genres because it has so many themes within in.

    I, too, will be reading Our Only May Amelia soon- I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kellee
      Unknown to you, your enthusiasm sent me into the Divergent series.
      Kathryn

      Delete
  6. Lots of great books from last week and for this week coming up! I would be interested to hear the audiobook of Divergent, I read it but I would love to hear how the narrator brings it to life. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen
      I highly recommend the audio of this book. I am not ultra critical of audio, but needs to be reasonably good. I found my mind did not drift as it sometimes does when listening to audio, which says something about the book itself and the narrator.
      Kathryn

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...