Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Monday - What Are You Reading?

Last week I started to join in with this Monday meme and as I visited some of the blogs I was just amazed at the reading that is happening among teachers and librarians.  It is inspiring, and while I know I will never be as passionate readers as they are - I certainly have no problem using my spare time to read.  
Hop on over and join in at the Mentor Text Bog.



The first book I read this week was Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.  I had already 
watched the movie thinking that would possibly be a quick way to 'read' the first book.  However while I enjoyed the movie, I chose to read the book, and enjoyed it, especially the humour.

My next book was the 1968  Newbery Medal book, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil  E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konisburg.  I found a rather pristine copy in our school library.  I'm hoping to make that look a little more hand used by the end of the year.  I was immediately drawn into the story and enjoyed the word by-play between Claudia and Jamie.  I identified early on with Claudia - page 10, "Claudia knew that it had to do with injustice.  She was the oldest child and only girl and the only girl was subject to a lot of injustice.  Perhaps it was because she had to both empty the dishwasher and set the table on the same night while her brothers got out of everything."  I wasn't the only girl, but I was the oldest, so I was sympathetic!
I loved Jamie too, inspite of being a 'tightwad' he was very endearing and he was an excellent foil to Claudia his sister.

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz was my next book.  This book was the 2008 Newbery Medal book.  I was a little dubious as I picked it up, I wasn't sure if I would like it. It is a mixture of prose and poetry and can be performed for an audience. In fact that was the purpose of the author.  I soon became involved and enjoyed meeting the various characters.  The stories are told with humour and compassion.   It is set in medieval times and I can only say I am thankful I didn't live then.  I would see this book as a very useful resource if you were studying medieval times.  
Finally yesterday the graphic novel Babymouse Queen of the World arrived and I had my first introduction to her.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and chuckled away.  At first glimpse it seems easy reading, however I think the ideas the book explores will easily be relevant to my 10 -12 year olds.  I have a couple more coming in my National library collection - yes New Zealand teachers the library has some copies.  I look forward to introducing this to the girls in my class.  Anyone had experience of boys reading them?

What's on my reading list for the next week?

The Story of Mankind - this will be a slow read, just a small diet each day! The aim is to read it eventually as part of the Newbery challenge.

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool - also part of the challenge and just have it for the week as an ebook from the library.

The Higher Power of Lucky.   Susan Patron  - also Newbery medal.

If there is time I then intend to read Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis.  However this one might also be next week, as the count down to going back to school on the 31st January looms closer.  And of course those staff meetings that come before that.

6 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Microtrends which was written by the Clinton's pollster about how small changes in society have a big impact.

    I also red the girl in the red coat which tells the story of world war 2 from the perspective of the little girl in the red coat in Schindler's list who was a real person.

    This week I want to read the paradox of choice and finish tea with the taliban. I might also try and read the life of pi to get my fiction moving along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie
    I don't know where you get the time to read all these and what an impressive list!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Train trips to and from school = 40 minutes of uninterrupted reading time!

      Delete
    2. Wow, that is great. Gotta love trains! 5 minutes by car for me! I guess that should leave me 35 minutes at home to read!!

      Delete
  3. Quite a reading week! Lightning Thief is one of my favorite books ever and the series is great- are you going to keep reading them? Also, Basil E. Frankweiler is a childhood favorite.

    I hope you like Moon over Manifest- I really enjoyed it but it has mixed reviews.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellee
    Yes I will finish the first series this year sometime. Just need to fit them in with all the other great reads. Hoping I will love Moon Over Manifest.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...