Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, May 9, 2011

An Ipad2 Initiation.

Recently I received my Ipad2 that I ordered a few weeks back.  I am not sure if I really needed it, but I did want one!  I already have a Kindle and Kobo ereader and the Kindle3 is a great ereader and I would go no further than it.  So I didn't need the ipad as an ereader.

However in the last year I have started to get The Reading Teacher magazine online and downloading articles as PDFs. I like the idea more, not so many magazines piled up on the bookcase!  I have bought the PDF Pro Reader Editon app and this is perfect for reading these articles, the screen is not too bright and I can highlight etc.  Possibly a little expensive as an app, but now that I have become skilled at using it I don't regret it.  To show how green I am with an ipad I spent about 12 hours wondering how I could enlarge the print.  The penny then dropped and I remembered how to make it larger.  The downside of this, is now I am touching and swiping and expecting my Kindle ereader to act in the same way!  Of course it doesn't!!

A free app that I have downloaded is Flipboard.  That makes blog reading and other favourite places like flipping through a magazine.  Fun.  I have had a go at logging onto Twitter with the ipad.  I found myself a little at sea there, finding myself doing things I just don't want.  My favourite quote has accidentally changed and I have been in danger of retweeting tweets I didn't want to do.

To see what an upmarket magazine looks like on the ipad2 I tried the most recent Austalian Women's Weekly.  Interesting but don't think I will repeat.  It took awhile to download, and while the photos were sharp, there wasn't that much reading really in it for me.

I have noticed the finger marks quickly build up and the dust, even though I do have a cover. However all in all I know that I am going to build up my use of this interesting piece of technology.

As a teacher I will be wanting to know what apps are really good for education.  I hope to be able to use it in class with a link to my projector.  If you read this post and have used the ipad2 in education, please let me know what has worked well (or not!) for you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the iPad.....It's just so hard to know if I should buy one or not. I'm glad you did and I will follow you start to use it.

    It's really a hard decision because I already feel, like you stated, that I'm gadget heavy with everything else I own. But I hadn't considered the magazine aspect. I tried doing this on my Kindle and found that I didn't like it too much. I really thought the pictures were inferior on the Kindle. And i could see that the iPad's pictures would make it a winner.

    So again, thanks for your insights and ideas. Keep posting about what you think, how it is going and whether you see the value investing in an iPad and I might end up taking the plunge. It's very tempting 'cuz I wanna be in the cool kid crowd!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha
    I felt a bit of that "catholic guilt" when I purchased, but I love it. I love the Kindle as well and that is far superior for reading books. But magazines on the ipad2, and pictures in general, outstanding. I have put the Kindle app on my iPad, so could read my books off the ipad, but the Kindle is my first choice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...